I’m at Ground Zero and I can’t get out.”
I once knew a women who had been married three times…all of which ended badly in divorce. Luckily there were no children involved. But as she shared the gory details of her latest divorce I could see that she was struggling to make sense of the obvious pattern of failed relationships. She expressed in a depressing tone sipping a glass of wine:
“I have a master’s degree, I have a great job, I work out, look pretty good and have no baggage. What is going on with my love life?”
So, I sat with and let her get it out. It’s important to have a nonjudgmental friend who just sits and is present. But, I couldn’t help silently put my counselor hat and come to the conclusion why this adorable and warm woman couldn’t make a marriage work.
These Little tidbits lead me to her ground zero:
- She had an uncle nine years her senior who moved in with her when her Dad walked out.
- She spoke fondly of him and mentioned he was really into running and always watched what he ate.
- She met all three of the men she married at the gym.
Find out if you are stuck at GROUND ZERO!
Answer on five pieces of paper:
- Who was your childhood crush? Make a list of everything you remember about him. Write them down.
- Draw a simple chart with your last three serious relationships. How are they the same? How are they different? Write it down on a separate sheet of paper.
- Look at both pieces of paper and on a third sheet of paper write down how the crush and your love relationships are similar. (Don’t leave anything out.)
- Are these the qualities that you as a grown woman need to make a life time commitment or are they just illusions of your inner child?
Would love to hear your thoughts and results. So much more to come, check out video series and sign up for book to be released in spring 2015.
April of Course
You may also like: