KnockAbout – (noun) Derived from two terms:
1. Knock around –
A: Mafia / Mob slang for a “wannabe” – a guy who will do the organization’s dirty work in hopes of moving up, but his superiors will never consider seriously regardless of his efforts
<Boss>This might be real dirty and I know you are on parole</Boss>
<Underboss>I’ll get one of these my knockaround guys to handle it; they’ll follow it like a carrot on a stick. It’s practically done already, Boss.</Underboss> used to describe a pair of shoes worn for casual wear; often worn but feel great.
B. Travel without a specific purpose.
“for a couple of years she and I knocked around the Mediterranean”
“it gets confusing when there are too many people knocking about”
spend time with someone.
“she knocked around with artists”
Translate knock around to
2. Walkabout -refers to a rite of passage during which male Australian Aborigines would undergo a journey during adolescence and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months.
Background: Australian. Given to us by Crocodile Dundee:
A spontaneous journey through the wilderness of one’s choosing in an effort to satisfy one’s itchy feet, a need to be elsewhere, the craving for the open road, that space over the horizon…yes… something like that… you can’t quite touch it so you have to go find it because it’s you just know it’s there…Or maybe it just feels good to go walking around … 😉 Yeah. It’s WALKABOUT.
See “Crocodile Dundee” 1986 starring Paul Hogan.See me waving ‘see ya later’ as I disappear over the horizon. 🙂
YOU my friend have fallen into the KNOCKABOUT category of lover is:
- He loves to come over a pizza and a booty call more then going out on the town.
- He says, “I’m just got over a bad breakup and am going through shit right now; so I can’t think about anything long term.”
- He calls you last minute to make plans.
- You often go dutch since he is always low on cash.
- When you get pissed off, he talks like a baby but the content is childish and nothing is ever resolved.
- You rarely hang out with his friends. When confronted, he replies, “Baby, I just want to be alone with you.”
- He often refers to you as his landing place alluding to the fact that you make him feel grounded and safe. (He rarely makes you feel that way.)
You are NOT a pair of old shoes and you are NOT his feel good stop off.
Get a pair of new boots and get walking. (steel toed if possible)
Big Girls Do Cry but then they put on their big girl boots and kick ass!
April of Course